Pages

Picture

Picture

Friday, June 18, 2010

The Unemployed Need Not Apply

The Unemployed Need Not Apply


I found this on another blog, survive unemployment!, and had to post this, because it's just wrong. I haven't seen or experienced this yet in my area, but I don't doubt that when I tell an interviewer that I was downsized, it's certainly not a mark in my favor.

That's wrong, wrong, wrong. Like the original post says, I could do nothing to control the situation at my former employer. In the meeting where we were let go, they even told us that the decision was NOT BASED ON PERFORMANCE, that we were all excellent employees. (Corollary question: if not performance-based, then what in hell does performance count for? Discuss. Also, why would you dump excellent people?)

Is it another sign that the economy is really in the tank? Or is it a regional phenomenon?

Of course, I stupidly relocated to an area where good jobs are few and far between, unless you're willing to super commute. (Which I am. ) So the idea of it being regional sort of makes some kind of twisted sense: too many people and too few jobs.

But still, this kind of discrimination - like ALL discrimination - is reprehensible.

No comments:

Post a Comment