Pages

Picture

Picture

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Some Tips to Get Through the Day...

If you're reading this, you're probably unemployed or underemployed, right? And it's a daunting task to fill the day with meaningful stuff, isn't it? Here are some things that are helping me get through the days:
1) Set a schedule for yourself. Set the alarm clock, get up, shower, have coffee. I spend the mornings trolling the job boards and online newspapers, writing cover letters, etc.
2) Try to find at least one thing everyday that will get you out of the house/apartment - go for a walk, ride your bike, whatever. It's helpful to move and will make you feel less depressed. Honest.
3) Do you have a hobby? As long as it isn't a real money drain, indulge. Who knows, it could lead to something else, right?
4) Be kind to yourself, be good to yourself. Give yourself permission to take a break from the hard work of looking for work every once in awhile and read a book, watch a good movie. (Libraries are your friends!)
5) Make sure you have contact with friends and family, it's so important not to become a recluse. (I'm in danger of becoming the crazy cat lady on my block.)
6) Teach yourself a new skill - I'm trying to improve my typing and learn PowerPoint.

Lots of folks say they find volunteering to be helpful. I'm trying to find a volunteer opportunity or 2 in my community, and I'll let you know. I think it's also a good way to get out of your own head for a bit - self-absorption is NOT a good long term strategy.

Seriously, the most important thing that I can think of is: Try not to despair, even though it's so easy to feel worthless and beaten. Let me know what you think!

4 comments:

  1. Great tips! My plan is to exercise every day M-F before 9:00 am no excuses. My favorite treat of the week is to go thrift store shopping on Wednesday because it's half price day - love Wednesdays! I got some great bargains today and I spent under $10.00! I am taking a continuing Ed class in the Fall – adding Billing and Coding to my long list of skills! I am planning to look for volunteer work in August too. I have some surgery scheduled for July so right after that I will look for volunteer opportunities. I really need to be with peeps!

    Love your blog. Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts.

    Freckles

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with your surgery, I hope you're ok. Billing and coding is a good field right now, or so it seems. I worked in the health insurance industry for many years and may do the same course now that I have the time.

    Good for you on keeping yourself busy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I worked in the health insurance industry for many years and may do the same course now that I have the time."

    I don't know where you live but in CT we have to discuss taking courses with UE. I called and reported it because the Community College I will be attending is a State college and they have my SS#. If UE runs a data report they will see I am going to school and if I didn't report it I could lose my UE benefits. Thought I would give you that heads up just in case.... someone told me about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i did know that, it's the same here in WV.

    ReplyDelete