Pages

Picture

Picture

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Sunday, Bloody Sunday

For the past two weeks, I've been fighting health issues - nothing very serious, just annoying and painful. I'm feeling loads better now though, thanks to the miracles of modern pharmaceuticals. God bless Diflucan.

This past Friday, I attended a group interview for a position with a local university. It's my shallow understanding that these are now the done thing for employers - it's a way for them to see a big group of candidates and weed out the obviously bad choices.

Here's what I advise if you get invited to one of these:

1. They're intimidating, yes indeed. Check out the candidates quickly when you first sit down: Who seems polished, confident, knowledgeable and who doesn't.

2. When the moderator(s) introduce themselves, jot down their names and some quick notes so you remember who they are (i.e. Sue, head of accounting, blue dress)

3. Pay attention (duh) to what the moderators tell the group, and make some notes - stuff you want to followup on in the Q&A. Of course, you will already have some questions written down because you did your research on the company before walking into the interview, right?

4. Have your elevator speech prepared, have it in your notebook so that you can refer to it, and be prepared to switch it around if you need to. Your elevator speech should focus on YOUR RELEVANT WORK HISTORY AND EDUCATION. Babbling about your 6 kids and the shelter puppy you got yesterday is not relevant, most likely. BE SUCCINCT. You've got maybe 3 minutes before the moderators' eyes glaze over. And if you're not comfortable making jokes in front of a group, don't try to be funny.

5. When you're making your speech, focus on the moderators. That's your target audience, not the other candidates in the room. Make eye contact with each of them, but give the most attention to the one who appears to be in charge.

6. ASK QUESTIONS. In my Friday Interview, 3 of us asked questions, out of a group of 20. My guess is that made the employer's decision process a tiny bit easier.

OK, I'll know this week if I was hired , and I'll post that result here. I think I acquitted myself well in the interview, and my fingers will be crossed. Have a good week!

No comments:

Post a Comment