Pages

Picture

Picture

Monday, August 30, 2010

Learn something new every day

I learned something interesting about taking Ambien. I got the script months ago, and I only use it when absolutely necessary. Last Saturday, I took one because I'd had several nights of little sleep.

So, I took one Saturday around 10PM. Now, the thing about Ambien is you've got to be able to commit to a full 7- 8 hours of sleep time. And here's why:

At 3AM Sunday morning, the phone rang. it was an elderly neighbor, she was feeling ill and needed help. So I got up - this is after about 4.5 hours of sleep - and went next door. I helped her get all her meds together while we waited for the ambulance, helped the EMTs get her ready for the ride to the hospital and when her niece showed up, I went back home.

I was awake but very foggy for a little while longer, then fell back to sleep and woke about 6AM. I got up, did my usual routine and went about the day, but with the worst depression I've felt in a long time. For the entire day, I was sad and anxious and jittery. It's pretty scary to be in Bed Bath & Beyond, choking back tears at the sight of a hamburger maker, because your mom bought you one like it when you went away to college.

This crappy mood lifted late in the afternoon, and all I can figure is that the interruption of the Ambien sleep is what caused it. Not to say I wouldn't get up and help my neighbor again, of course I would, or that you should never take this medication - just a little caveat in case you ever do have need for it. or you, too, can frighten the 18 year old clerk at BB&B.

No comments:

Post a Comment