Pages

Picture

Picture

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Sometimes you get what you need

OK, being unemployed, I try not to spend money on unnecessary things, right? Well, last week, the little air conditioner in my bedroom quit on me. I was devastated - I really need a cool room for sleeping, all year round. In the winter, I rarely even turn the heat on in the bedroom.

So, here I am, middle of the hottest summer in years, the a/c in the bedroom is dead. So I turned it off and started trolling the Interwebs for a deal (loosely speaking) on a/c units. I really didn't like that I might have to buy one - not the best time for "major" purchases, right? But I was willing - like I said, hot summer nights et al, and more coming, and I have an interview next week that I'd like to ace. So I decided to bite the bullet and go for it, if I could find one for around $110.

Best Buy had one for about $100 online, so I went to the local BB store - none in stock, not planning to get any more. I went all over this town - Kmart, WalMart, Sears, Target, Big Lots, the local mom -n- pop joints, the PAWN shops....nuthin', not not way. Well, except Sears had a 12,000btu for $500. I laughed and walked out.

So back to Big Lots, my go-to store for cheap stuff, and picked up a 40" oscillating fan. Reasonably priced. Nice, too. Works well, I recommend it. Used it Friday night, kept the bedroom comfy, if not meat-locker cold.

Saturday morning, I'm cleaning. On a whim, I turn the a/c temperature dial down to low cool, flip the thing on, and Hallelujah!! The compressor kicks back to life and out flows blessedly cold, refreshing air!

I guess the thing had maybe frozen up (?) and needed to defrost (??) - hey, whadda I know from air conditioners? - and I don't care what it was, I am just thrilled that it's working again and I didn't have to shell out $100+ bucks for a new unit. Thank you, angels of the air conditioning, for resurrecting my cool air!

(No blasphemy is intended, I am very thankful!)

No comments:

Post a Comment