Pages

Picture

Picture

Friday, July 9, 2010

Work Ethic?

I got a temp job at a local chiropractor's office and it's a neat job. Basically they have me taking the surveys they ask the patients to complete after treatment and turning them into a paragraph or two-length testimonial. Nice!

On my second day there, I arranged to go in at 10, after Wendy's vet appointment. When I walked in, the office manager lit up. She said, "I am so glad you came back today! The last girl the agency sent over never came back after the first day." She went on to tell me that the girl worked a full day, and when the office manager was trying to find the file she'd been working on, she realized that the girl hadn't saved any of her work. I offered, well, maybe she wasn't familiar with Word?

Ok, now maybe there was a good reason for this. I can't think of one, but who knows? What I find upsetting is the lack of professionalism, or just plain old courtesy, this other temp displayed. If she just hated sitting there drafting these things up, she could've (should've) let them know she wouldn't be back, rather than just abandoning the job. Really that's what the agency is there for - she could've (should've) explained it to them and let then deal with the client.

I've had jobs I dreaded going in to every morning, but unless there was clearly illegal activity, I would never just quit, abandon the post. It makes me angry to think here's a nice place, a neat job, and someone doesn't appreciate it. And that sort of casts other agency employees in a bad light: are they all like this? Can I trust this place to coem through when I need them?

Just one fo many things I just don't understand...

No comments:

Post a Comment